August Faves

End of August = end of summer. There is nothing sadder than the dawning of September. It means drizzle, dark nights but worst of all: school. Still, it's not all doom and gloom because it soon means I can start donning jumpers and jeans again!

Barry M matte nails
So after what feels like years of searching for a matte topcoat they have started to become more readily available. However, I have only just got round to buying one, of the Barry M variety. And I am so happy! I always like to have a couple of favourite or new nail varnishes to take away on holiday with me and so these were perfect! It was 3 for 2 on Barry M in Boots when I went in so I treated myself to a matte topcoat, another shade from the matte range called 'Malibu' which is a bold yet light blue, perfect for catching someone's eye in the sun I think, and a limited edition purple shade called 'Bikini Blue' which I think is a really interesting colour as it's a blue-tinged purple, almost like a pale indigo-cum-violet, which I think would be a great winter colour as well as summer. They are £3.99 each from Boots or direct from Barry M and really are great value for the price tag. But then again, I'm a huge ambassador for Barry M nail varnishes.

5 Barry M nail varnishes. Shades: matte topcoat, bikini blue, malibui, berry ice cream and and pink flamingo

Barry M malibu on nails

Chroma by Eugene McGuinness
Ok, so technically this was released in July, but due to Eugene McGuinness' criminally under-publicised work, I did't get my mitts on it until I went browsing around HMV. When I spied it, I picked it up and sped to the checkout ASAP because there was no way I was living any longer without another album, I just couldn't believe I hadn't heard anything of it! Most of you will probably have no idea who Eugene McGuinness is but you should definitely DEFINITELY give him a listen, especially if you're into music with a bit of a sixties vibe and even more so if you're looking for someone who's a bit different to the usual same-old indie vibe. If you follow me on twitter (@f0rdcortina) you would have seen me conversing with him about this (oh yeah, me and Eugene are tight. I wish) He's stupidly underrepresented and I don't know how more people don't know about him: he's so refreshing and one of my favourite artists. His last two albums have been a triumph, I think, and you are missing out if you don't listen to him! I recommend 'Shotgun', 'Sugarplum' and 'Godiva' personally (he also did a pretty sweet cover of Lana Del Rey's 'Blue Jeans')

Inglorious Basterds I know this isn't exactly a new film (2009) but I only saw it for the first time this month and it definitely didn't disappoint. Anyone who knows me knows that I adore Quentin Tarantino films so I was looking forward to seeing this film. I'd heard some mixed reviews of it from my family so I was a bit wary of watching it but I loved it. It's everything a Tarantino film should have and more: blood, violence, witty dialogue, famous actors, Nazis and more violence. If you've never seen a Tarantino film before I suggest you see Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs first but you should definitely watch this too. If you have a bit of a nervous disposition then Tarantino films are probably not for you. Gone Girl Once again I'm late on the bandwagon, but the hype is justified. I bought this to read on holiday and I couldn't put it down! I won't spoil it for anyone who's intending on reading it/watching at the cinemas but it is a fantastic book. It has a really clever plot and it's so easy to read. It's not just a page-turning thriller but it has so many other levels too. I can't wait to see it at the cinemas now I've read it because I really enjoyed it! Prada Candy Florale I bought this from the airport on the way to Ibiza (perfume is a tradition for me and mom) and you can see by how much I've used in just over two weeks just how much I like it. I've tried it a few times in department stores and magazine samples so I thought it would be a great scent to see out the summer. I personally don't like the original Prada Candy because I find it far too sickly, but with the addition of these floral notes it's created a much fresher and more uplifting fragrance but still with undertones of sweetness which are on the right side of subtle. It also lasts quite a while as it lasted me a good day of walking around Ibiza town in the heat so I'd say it's a great one if you're after a scent for all day.

No comments:

Thank you for commenting! I always read my comments and I love receiving them :')

Powered by Blogger.