Reading List 2015

I finished reading The Picture of Dorian Gray this afternoon on the bus home from school. I started this book last month and finished school last month as well so this was quite an unplanned coincidence on my part. After day 2 of my sixth form induction today featuring a reading list for my English Lit A level and finishing a truly fantastic book, it got me thinking about my reading list for this summer and beyond. Having to re-read The Great Gatsby is no chore for me but before the serious work begins there are also a few other books that I would love to get the opportunity to read this season.

1984 by George Orwell

This is a book I have wanted to read for some time now and especially since the popularity of Big Brother I have longed to know where the idea stemmed from. Admittedly I don't know much about the novel except that it is a commentary on a dystopian future, which sounds interesting to me. My mom downloaded this onto her kindle the other day so I reckon later on tonight I will treat myself to a cup of green tea and an introduction to Orwell.

Me Without You by Kelly Rimmer

A bit of (not so) light relief from the heavy-going, classic literature laden life I am about to embark on, I am looking forward to being able to read something more contemporary on holiday. I say this, but after my cousin recommended and summarised the plot for me, it seems as though this won't be such an easy book to read as it focuses on the relationship between a recently disabled man and his carer as he struggles with the frustration and resentment he feels towards being prevented from fulfilling his life in the same way as he had been. Who doesn't need a good tear jerker every now and then?

Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins

Again this is a book of which I know very little about the plot. However, it has been likened to Gone Girl and recommended to me by friends of whom I trust their opinions, especially when it comes to books. This is a lot more like the sort of books I enjoy reading whilst I'm abroad: fairly easy to read but equally as gripping and exciting in terms of plot. The fact that I know so little about the story makes me all the more intrigued to begin reading which is the perfect frame of mind to be in before picking up a good thriller.

Tender Is The Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald

This is on my list of enrichment reading given to me by my English teacher but was luckily already on my reading list. Having read The Great Gatsby and The Beautiful and Damned I like to call myself a fan and was always looking forward to reading more of his work. I don't know what it is about the roaring '20s as a decade but I am completely fascinated by it and love Fitzgerald's portrayal of American society during this period. I am very much looking forward to reading this!

It's been a while since I've been able to ready for pleasure so I am making the most of this summer and looking forward to being able to do so for my A levels. What books do you recommend for summer?



No comments:

Thank you for commenting! I always read my comments and I love receiving them :')

Powered by Blogger.